Friday, April 15, 2011

Culture Shock.

I am finally back on the Island and it feels so good to be home. I cannot wait to put my toes in the sand later this afternoon! Being back in the states has been really weird for me. I feel almost as if I am in a daze and I should wake up from a dream and be back in Africa again, but that won't happen for a while...I miss the kids so much and think about them and pray for them daily. They are all out on break right now and will start attending school again at the beginning of May. Some part of me wishes that I could just move to Africa now and start teaching over there, BUT I have to get my degree first. Me and mom were able to go see Taylor in Athens for his Old South Parade on Wednesday and took pictures and watched the parade. It was really fun and then we went up to Kennesaw yesterday and I registered and applied for the Education Program there and will be attending in the fall. It's def not UGA, but I think I am going to love it. The people there are super nice and it is beautiful and has a smaller feel to it, which I love. I am going to be living with my aunt and uncle in Smyrna to start out and then we will see from there. Some of the things that have been super hard for me to adjust too is all the excess stuff we have here. The nice clothes, cars and everything else. In Africa, the people don't need a lot to be happy, they have each other and that is the most important part of their lives: relationships. I miss the kids smiles and hugs every morning and late night pillow talks with Sawyer, I miss the morning greeting at the school and P.E. I miss the sunshine and afternoon rainy days. I miss our treck to Choma and the restaurant and watching FRIENDS on the weekends. But most of all, I miss the people, the conversations I had with Sylvia, the laughs I had with my girls, the Hide-and-Seek games and the constant piggy back rides and hand holding. I miss the realness and authenticity and the raw goodness of Africa. God has convicted my heart and made me realize that I need to have that same raw authenticity in my life and the same down-to-earth relationships. We need to be so consumed with Christ and his Character that we do not have time to worry about what clothes we are wearing or what fancy restaurant we are going to eat at next. I need to be consumed with His passion for me that I forget about all the material possessions around me. I am captivated by His love for me and I pray that I can share the authenticity of His love to others around me. I pray that I can appreciate the little things in life and not take for granted the relationships He has given me or simple things like electricity, power, running water, clean water, shoes without holes and food to eat. Christ love is consuming and His desire for us is to be completely satisfied in Him. He is so worthy, bask in His love for you today.
-rach

No comments:

Post a Comment